Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

I respectfully disagree

"distortion products are a greater source of coloration than frequency response is"

The influence of frequency response depends on listening level.

Because of ear sensitivity, for low level listening a 'narrower/less flat' frequency response is acceptable, but this is not true for faithful orchestra reproduction.

For the interested readers I recommend to take a look at Chapter 14 "Fidelity and Distortion" of the Radiotron Designer's Handbook (IV edition, downloadable at the Peter Millet site).

In my opinion your point of view would be barely acceptable only in case of low level listening, because distortion products are usually vanishingly small and hence frequency responce can be somewhat degraded.

To summarize our discussion:

According to the proposed 'power paradigm/zero feedback' approach,

- on one hand we should accept a less than optimal (and variable with different speaker types) frequency response because distortion products are a supposed 'lower source of coloration',

- on the other hand, due to the extremely low power transfer to the speaker, we will certainly get the highest distortion products (because we are forced to push harder the output tubes for getting and adequate acoustic dynamic range).

Power paradigm now looks to me what it should look like to all un-biased audiophiles: a minor niche of high-end market of small or no interest for the average people.

Best Regards
Luca

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.