Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: Question or two for radiance

Hi Duke,

well, now, that's a good question. hadn't thought about providing that option, but by gum it is a possibility.

Yes, it's a vertical line array, BUT with some special tweaks of angles to avoid the comb interference effect and to enlarge the stereo image volume (so you can move around the room without losing too much stereo image) and a very long folded horn inside to really extend the bass. I have done all the figuring out theory I can do; now I am building a whole bunch of cabinets with slightly to vastly different dimensions and angles and folded horn parameters, and then I'll be testing testing testing. It might take a month, it might take two years - dunno! I'm not going to stop until it is breath-takingly frigging gorgeous, and I'm going to put an SE OTL live chassis (no transformers at all - no line tx's, no output tx's - BUT some honkin' big chokes in the PS stages) inside to make this sucker BREATHE. So, it's an internally-amplified-completely-transformerLESS-very-modified-tweaked-line-array-multiple-driver-folded-conical-inside-horn monster - seven feet tall, maybe 7 1/2 feet tall - two of them, left and right, with a center channel amplified much smaller unit that contains the line/mixer/preamp/etc with a top specially designed for a turntable to sit on, and the whole thing is going to come in two versions: hand-built for mega-bucks, and totally kit for micro-bucks. yeah, baby. life. cool. no messing around. the beauty of the amplified speaker combo is that the amp and cabinet can be tweaked to the drivers so the whole thing has esthetic unity - on the other hand, i can definitely see how the cabinet/driver, once it's worked out, could work well with many amps, including otl amps, although in many cases there would probably be mods that would have to be made to the output of the amp to match it up correctly; we're not talking 8 ohms here. frankly, i am not going to stop working on this until it is so frigging wonderful that you probably wouldn't want to not include the amp part of the kit. thanks for asking. hope this hasn't been too much of a commercial; i don't mean to bend the rules; when I have the bucks I will definitely put some serious dough into helping sponsor this forum.
"It ain't a comeback until it's left the shop" Jimmy Dunne, the first man to drive a VW Beetle faster than 200 mph, and he has the forehead scar to prove it; I will always honor him for taking a chance on me when I wanted to be an engine mechanic.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.