Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: Hum problem solved

Hi Bill,

Yes, I swapped the interconnects and the hum did not follow but stayed in the left speaker.

After reading your post, I did plug the left amp into the old 15 amp circuit and the hum went away. However when I plugged the right amp in the 15 amp circuit and the left one remained on the 20 amp, I got the hum back. Somehow, only the left amp has this reaction.

I called the electrician who installed the 20 amp circuit for me and discussed the problem with him. He assured me that the 20 amp receptacle's ground is done correctly. He suggested that the 15 amp receptacle (different one from the one where the amps had been plugged in initially but on the same circuit)where the rest of the system (sources and preamp) was connected might be suspect. At his suggestion, using an extension cord, I then plugged the preamp and source components to one plug of the new 20 amp receptacle with the left amp connected to the other plug.

Wow! Not only did the hum problem disappear but the whole system sounded better once the grunge of that crummy receptacle was removed. Upon placing my ear close to both speakers, they were dead-silent whereas before there was a slight hiss.

The good news is the electrician will be coming to change and check the receptacle. The bad news is I have to move all the components so he can get to the plug. But hell, it needed vacuuming!

Thanks for your help!

Jac

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Hum problem solved - JFP 12:43:25 02/20/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.