Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

What the heck did I just do?

I'm here to prove the old saw that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I've been mining the OTL online archives (Thanks again so much for putting this up, I'll buy you a beer!) and came across a whole thread re: subbing a 6SL7 for the CCS in M-60s. I've got the 12 tube MA-1s, but the input circuit is the same?. I'm also using 12SX7s, so we're talking 12SL7 for the sub. Found a few 1950's vintage SL7s, took the best two and stuck em in V3. So? You may ask...well dummy me counts uhh 1...2...3 aha! Third tube! That must be V3. So I sticks the SL7s in the socket(s) and listen. Holy Cow! Opens things right up. My word! A little more distortion, but I haven't changed the grid resistors and added the zeners as Ralph recommended in above mentioned thread. Long story short, I changed the wrong tubes, and put the SL7s in the cascode position. I've since put it back right, with no harm apparently done. Amps are working fine. I'll wait til another day to put the SL7s in the proper position. My questions, after all this blather, is why did it sound so darn good with the wrong tubes in, and is there maybe a possible tweak or mod to be explored?

Thanks all.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - What the heck did I just do? - Frank 20:50:50 02/11/06 (10)

You can not post to an archived thread.