Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: Upgrade MA-1 Mk. II.2?

The change from Mk. II.3 to Mk. III is primarily a cosmetic change, to bring the MA-1 style into line with the rest of the Mk.III gear.

All of the advancements and refinements of the entire Mk.II era are found in the Mk.III series. We haven't started building MA-1 Mk.III yet, but I'm under the impression that the A/AB feature will be deleted from the new units.

The recent sonic improvements are mainly tied to the changes in the amplifier's output section. We're getting the tubes to work much better as groups, without one trying to 'lead the pack' while others straggle behind. This not only reduces distortion, but improves the transient response - in both the micro and macro regions. The overall presentation becomes smoother, not in the sense of 'softening' the sound, but in terms of making things seem even more natural, effortless and lifelike. As a side benefit, the tubes live much easier lives.

I'm currently working to put all of the Mk.III changes into my original 1st revision (1997 or so) M-60 Mk.II amps. Turns out that this is quite a bit of work; I'm predicting 16 hours total, to complete the job on both amps.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.