Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: DIY

>they no longer use resistors at the plates, but at the cathode instead.
>Makes sense too. Helps swamp out variations in the tubes.

I think that was also what the plate and grid resistors were meant to do.

>I don't know much about tubes, but I would think plenty could go wrong with no obvious physical manifestation at all.

The tubes in question have fusible links. The blown links are what the original post is about. Whether they are blown or intact can be determined by just looking at them.

>I'd use a meter accross the cathode resistors, and ogle my spares for mystical insight ........... :) ........ mike

For this common failure visual inspection is a lot easier than disconnecting the amps and opening them up for testing.

While zen-like tube gazing may be good it is seldom done. The positive experience of examining the tubes and gaining respect for their complex manufacture happens at the best moment to counteract the negative effect of having a tube go bad. With my budget I have had to come up with philosophical approaches to the cost of tubes.

Bill Layer said something about designing a tube tester devoted to the specific needs of Atma-Sphere users, but I haven't seen any mention of it since. I found a schematic for a tube tester. It's complex but maybe could be pared down to just octal base for a start.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.