Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

MA-2 MK II.3 has 60Hz Hum...Please Help...

I just received a pair of used MA-2 MKII.3 amps and they both have 60Hz hum. Even with no input and pins 1 & 3 of the balanced inputs shorted, they both have this hum. It is worse with the input switch in the high resistance position. If I have to send these to Atma-Sphere it will be about $500 for shipping. Can bad tubes alone cause this? The speakers can’t be a problem. I have initially hooked up some Acoustic Research bookshelf speakers to test the amp. When I plug in my Golden Tube Audio SEP-1 preamp the problem gets a lot worse. The GTA isn’t a good match for these amps but at least it has balanced outputs. The amps make music but there is always the hum. If I can get these amps to work I will get an MP-1 preamp and some balanced sources and be in OTL hog heaven. I know these will be some really righteous amplifiers when they are working well. Any ideas?...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - MA-2 MK II.3 has 60Hz Hum...Please Help... - Tufwheel 12:33:00 10/23/05 (8)

You can not post to an archived thread.