Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: Google "damping factor"

Lest I confuse you or someone else, when I wrote "the advertised damping factor of your amplifiers is likely to be incorrect for driving your Apogee ribbons", what I meant to convey is that if your amps have an advertised DF of 10, which is probably based on an 8-ohm speaker load, then they will actually function with a DF of 5 when driving your Apogees (as I stated above), assuming the Apogees have a real impedance of 4 ohms, but we know the impedance of the Apogee goes even lower than 4 ohms, further lowering the actual DF achieved in practise.

I am not a big devote' of high damping factor (i.e., super low output impedance) amplifiers per se; my experience tells me that there is such a thing as "critical damping factor" which was defined and described long ago by Norman Crowhurst and others. However, when the ratio of the amplifier output Zo to the speaker Zi approaches one or certainly when it goes above one, which will happen if you turn off all your NFB, things do turn sour. Zeros are a must in that case.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.