Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Build my own OTL?/MQ36/transformerless OTL?

OK here goes. This is my first ever time to even look at this forum so don't shoot me down in flames guys.

I would like a Luxman MQ-36 OTL amp but they seem to be hard to find and pricy. So I would like to build a copy. Or maybe something just slightly similar.

Q1. Anyone done this before? Any help/links/info would be appreciated.

While knowing virtually nothing about OTLs and not much about tube amps it occurs to me I might not need ANY tranmsformers at all! ???
If I use a battery source for the heaters (like a tube pre-amp I still own) I figure that our local 240VAC mains supply should give me plenty of B+. I haven't heard of this being done before.

Q2. Is it do-able? If not why not? If so, can anyone link me to some info or a schematic please?

I will probably use it to power some multi driver line source speakers I am currently working on with these. I can wire them to be something like 60 ohms.

Q3. Does this open up any particular design/output tubes as more feasible/better than any other?

Thanks- John Corneille

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - Build my own OTL?/MQ36/transformerless OTL? - topogon 00:12:46 08/31/05 (3)

You can not post to an archived thread.