Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: Question for Ralph on MP1

I decided to call it an OCL, because most conventional commercial preamps are capacitor-coupled; of course it is also an OTL preamp.

I guess I could look this up, but as long as we are on line, then what is the total gain (phono+linestage) available from the phono-connected MP1? I ask because I am running a Koetsu Urushi, said to give 0.6mV output. On good days, the gain is adequate, but on other days I am hurting. This is mostly due to the fact that I use the Sound Lab M1 speakers, and their efficiency is highly sensitive to the humidity in this jungle we call Washington, DC (Bethesda, MD, actually). So on bad days I start to wish I had a step-up transformer or some other way to increase phono gain. (As you know, I am contemplating building a separate power supply for the phono section, which might allow me to use a higher Gm tube at the phono input and thereby increase phono gain without a step-up transformer).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.