Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Sadly I was (initally) really concerned about this...to Ralphs' point

My first conversations with Ralph (as a NYAL OTL3 owner) spent too much time dwelling on this stability prospect as it was (incorrectly)being related to other OTL designs. Ralph assured me of the totally bullet-proof nature of his designs. Atma-Sphere gear has been totally different in my (direct) ownership experience. Very stable...very confident in using them daily.

My OTL3s never blew up - or melted down - IN my experience in almost 20 years.

My NYAL OTL3s were used mostly on LS3/5a and Quads. I did have incredible difficulty (back then) getting my OTL3s amps to balance perhaps due to wimpy (variations in) AC or unmatched? (totem pole output) 6LF6 tubes. Incidentally, I have (occaisionally) used them, in the past 4 years, with a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet (balun) and they ARE really stable with this. I am assuming parasitic HF oscillations? A mystery, spoke with Paul McGowan about this - he had no ideas...

(no flame intended - just a FACT)
Harvey wanted to *rape me* for output tubes and to look at my amps - I (instead) lived with this . . . considered it the nature of those beasts. Sadly my personal ownership experience and Harveys **** manner of support only fostered these perceptions . . . very sad!

I also built a beefy soft-start to protect my amps PS on power up.

I also believe that the questionable rap on these older OTL designs may have had more to do with people pairing amps with unsuited speakers (loads) and cause possible problems. To my point about speaker loading, I recently (breifly) tried the OTL3s on my WATTs - not a ideal match (to my profound surprise) sound was really strained. Speaker load??

My 2 cents.

Mike

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.