Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

OTL noob questions....be gentle

ok, i've been trying to get a handle on the otl "house sound" as it were but i'm still kinda confused. it seems otl has the same magical properites as set amps, but with more power. of course, all this is kinda lost on me as my only tube exposure is push-pull triodes. i currently own a pair of cary slm-200 monos (130 watts triode). they sound amazing to me. the midrange and treble are magical and liquid. however, the bass doesn't punch like it used to with the aragon palladium 2 monos i used to own. this is the only thing i miss. i've considered the zero autoformers (hence, how i learned about otl amps) for increased bass definition. the closest otl amp to my cary slm-200 would be the atma-sphere ma-1 mkii 3. can anybody give me an idea of what difference in sound i could expect to hear between these two amps? i know it's apples and oranges. unfortunately, i have no way of demoing the ma-1. thanks much.

kevin t

**for reference: speakers are gershman acoustics avant garde rx-20**

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - OTL noob questions....be gentle - kgturner 20:16:17 08/04/05 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.