Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: The Beast is here....

You are right. I read it a couple of times and then it dawned to me.
Still to me it is somewhat odd, to have a balanced or differential signal, to make it single-ended or turn it into a "RCA" via interstage and then to split the phase again.

It is nice to allow for bypassing the transformer but if I was a customer I would have liked to see the balanced signal go directly passed the phase splitter, no destruction and recreation. I am curious of the schematic.

It reminds me of my stock Sony SACD SCD-777 player. The signal from the DAC is differential. But they make it single ended - filter it - and in the case of the more expensive brother SCD1 use 4 Opamps to recreate a differential signal again.....

I always believed that it is not so simple to split the phase correctly. And if that is the case, why take it down and do it again?
The only explaination is: the amp is designed for single ended input sources or preamp.

The input transformer is then used as some sort of interstage where the input of the RCA is using the transformer as 1:1 or 2:1 while the XLR sees a 1+1:1. But then the statement of the inferior method of turning a differential XLR signal to single-ended by connecting one leg to ground and instead taking a transformer, is in the same league as the statement being the most powerful OTL amp in the world.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.