Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Agreed

In my first response, I neglected to consider the fairly low output Z of the MA2s, due to the number of tubes in the output stage. Surely the MA2 can easily handle a relatively efficient 4-ohm speaker (and probably some relatively inefficient ones as well) without Zeros. On the MA1s, I am not so confident; it would probably be wise to try them with and without Zeros and to determine for onesself which is best. If the impedance of the Kharmas goes BELOW 4 ohms at any critical midrange or bass frequencies, then I would submit that one would be best off with the Zeros. If the impedance tails off at high frequencies, e.g., above 4kHz or so, then it probably won't faze the amplifier at all, even without Zeros. Since the Kharmas have been successfully paired with the Lamm tube amplifiers by some reviewers, the MA1s may do fine without any help from Zeros. Just curious: have you tried the Tenor OTL amplifiers that made J Valin swoon when auditioned with Kharmas?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.