Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: 6as7 life continued...

You say you don't think the performance of your amps is good. Does that mean they sounded good once but not now? Or does it mean they have never sounded good? I lack the equipment to check and match tubes, but was faced with the reality my M60's did not sound 'magical' any more, only just good. I bought new tubes and listened to the old ones as long as I could, then put in the new ones as a Christmas treat. There clearly was a difference.

If your amps sounded really good at one time, it would do no harm to try new tubes. It would not be a waste of money because you'll need the new tubes sooner or later. Just my non-expert opinion.

Right now prevailing philosophy seems to be the amps are the test bed for the tubes: use statistical swapping to match them and playing music to determine quality. That philosophy seems to extend to the brand of tubes also. The more expensive Svetlanas are said to offer only better failure rates than the cheaper identical-looking Sovteks -not better sound or better matching.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: 6as7 life continued... - TerryC 01:24:57 02/15/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.