Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Berning ZH270

Whether or not the Berning ZH270 is an OTL, it certainly is a fine amp. Add me to the list of converts. And I've only been listening to it for a few hours.

I haven't compared it directly to my VZN80, and may not feel a need to do so any time soon.

The JE is a fine amp, but it weighs a good bit... takes up a lot of space... puts out a heck of a lot of heat... and has an annoying low level transformer hum.

The Berning (wire mod, stock tubes) is unbelievably light... is dead quiet... is very manageable in size... and sounds rather good in its own way.

The only complaint I have so far is with the spacing on the speaker terminals. But it's acceptible for the spades I'm using. I may discover more warts in the days ahead, but the plusses so far are rather remarkable for such an unassuming little amp.

It will be fun to discover the subtleties of the amp, and explore the settings (Low Feedback for now).

[rest of the system: G&D UTP-1 -> Blackie Pagano modified AN 3.1x sig/special -> Emotive Audio Erato (with 27s, 244As, or 247As) -> ZH-270 -> Merlin VSM-SEs -> TG Audio cables and cords]

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Berning ZH270 - dave derrick 14:11:14 02/08/05 (19)

You can not post to an archived thread.