Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Neutrality vs. Real

As I mentioned above, I thought the Berning amps were superb. I also think there is a pretty big difference between an amp that is neutral and adds nothing to one that sounds like live music.

I know that this is very subjective, but I used to be be quite a club rat in my younger days. I wrote show reviews for years, and have seen at least 2000 bands/performers live--some in great acoustic environments, and some in acoustic sewers.

To me what I like about the Joule is the space and texture around instruments that make them sound like the real thing. Whether it's an acoustic guitar, or Jack White plugged into his Marshall stack, all the instruments ring true to my ear. Does the Joule impart more euphonics than the Berning? Probably. But to me it sounds more real. I love David's amps and would love to be able to afford both the Berning and the Joule and hop back and forth according to my mood, but I could only afford one. Oh well.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.