Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: 12SX7s

I am confused, Lew.

>>At the actual working voltages in your Atma-spheres, some or all of your so-called bad tubes may function quite well. As I wrote before, in my experience NOS 12SX7s have very well-matched sections, as per the read-out of my Hickok 533A tube tester. (Hence the information I get from testing is no better than yours, provided you used a Hickok or other tester that measures transconductance.)

Isn't that a contradiction? You say they have well matched sections in the tester, yet I think you are impling that even if they dont test well they may behave differently in the amps. I am not sure what the case is for trying these tubes that test poorly in my amps.

I had this experience. I recieved about 20 12SX7s from Mark and he said that they came from a tube swap in California. These would be used NOS. I also purchased another 10 new NOS from another source.
I don't have a tester myself so I didn't know what each tube tested out as and I put a set of 8 fresh ones in my amps one day and the sound was horrible. I sent the 8 to a friend who has M60s and a Hickock tester. He put the tubes in his amps, and the sound was horrible. He then tested them, and most of them had poorly matched sections. I then sent him the rest of my tubes and he tested all of them and came up with 8 excellant ones (probably from the 10 I bought new). He listened to them, they sounded great, and he sent them to me and they sounded great. He said the remaining tubes didn't test well. I haven't recieved them back yet, but I could, and I could give them a listen but I don't expect that it would be worthwhile. I think I would be better off just ordering some new spares.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: 12SX7s - bryan 14:42:30 11/18/04 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.