Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: Berning ZH270 or Seigfried compared to Atma-sphere MA60

"It's just that the means by which this is accomplished will presumably add its own sonic characteristics"

I would love to hear what a "sonic" characteristic of something operating at a fixed frequency of 250Kh would be?

But for argument sake let's say Maybe, so a conventional OTL with a power supply of 60Hz (audio Frequency) would not have a sonic characteristic?

One would think moving everything out of the audio frequencies would have less of a sonic character than one in the audio frequency like a 60hz one, using your own logic or any!

If low impedance, varying speaker loads where not a problem then there would be no need for transformers, you need to have the same current transfer characteristics into 2 ohms as you do into 12ohms.
If you have a speaker with a 10R impedance characteristics as flat as a ruler from 20hz to 50Kh, conventional OTL's will be the only way to go but very few speakers do that if any, this design has opened the OTL's character to varying speaker owners not just OTL friendly ones.

""I've designed a 'conventional' OTL "" etc etc!!

Yeah, that's not a problem but does it match varying speaker impedances, do that and have a DC to 250Kh response and you'll have our interest, that's for sure :)

Anyway, I've spent much too much time here trying to explain something that again is very complicated indeed and we've gone over an over it in the past, this amp DOES exactly what a OTL can and what a transformer coupled amp can and it's not a solid state hybrid, so what is it, it is what it is, nothing like it.

Allan

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Berning ZH270 or Seigfried compared to Atma-sphere MA60 - allanbhaganinfo 18:46:21 06/17/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.