Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: Berning ZH270 or Seigfried compared to Atma-sphere MA60

H Bridge is a building block for power conversion technology, so a accurate statement would be such and nothing more than the ZOTL uses modern power conversion technology to achieve it's goal, but I can't see a accurate resemblance at all to a high efficiency digital pulse width modulation Class D amp, if so, then the ZOTL equally have some resemblance to all laptops, computers, some modern TV's most all avionics and so on and so on, it's just not accurate.

Maybe I miss understood your first postings, you hinted it resembling a transformer coupled amp, then it was some resemblance to a Class D amp, which would suggest a hybrid, which made my answer just as confusing, I should have said no hybrid made can allow that to happen (referring to tube/speaker characteristics), not no transformer.

OTL means output transformer less, one would assume that it means audio output transformer less, what else could it mean, which is what the ZOTL is, the key is that the device is not in the audio frequencies, which is what I mean when I say not in the "signal path" I mean audio frequencies, what other signals is there, yes there is a RF matching device in the circuitry operating at 250Kh which is made up of several transformers and mosfets, the point is, it does not operate in the audio frequency.
The amp is output transformer less and match varying speaker impedances, with a capable frequency response of DC to 250Kh, show me another tube amp that can do that, clearing showing it's an advancement in design topology.

As I posted elsewhere, read Charles Hansen report, he is a switching power supply engineer, where he clearly states that this amp does not operate like a Class D amp, here is the link again.

http://www.davidberning.com/hansen_on_zh270.htm

Allan
Berning Co

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.