Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: Futterman H-3

From the looks af the parts, this amplifier dates from the 60s or early 70s. By the 70s that type of filter capacitor that is used in the amplifier was not being built. So if the amp is from the 70s the caps would have been old surplus parts. After high school and during college I worked in a regional service department for several years. When I started there in 1974, there were filter caps like that on the shelf as service parts. They were all so old that none of them were actually good. So I think your amp is an early one.

It is likely that the sound of the amplifier would benefit from replacement of the electrolytics. These parts have a sort of half-life. Back when these were made, that half life was about 20-25 years, meaning that after that many years, roughly half of them were bad. If my estimate is correct, you are closer to 35 years on those parts. If the amp has been run consistantly during that time, they might still be good. If the amp has been stored for years at a time, they are probably shot.

Good Luck with it! Thanks for the photo!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Futterman H-3 - Ralph 16:12:58 06/10/05 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.