Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: Zero Autoformers

First, you are not defeating the amplifier! Here's why:

The ZERO can do things no other transformer can. That is because of two reasons- first, it does not have to block DC, so it is much simpler and is an autoformer rather then a transformer. Thus there is only one winding, not two. Second, and much more important, a transformer of this capability would not be possible with a conventional tube amp. It is only possible if you start out with a low output impedance (relatively speaking) amplifier to begin with. The M-60 is a good example of that.

As a consequence the ZERO has much, much wider bandwidth then conventional transformers and is full power down to 2 Hz- unheard of in conventional designs!

Does it always work? No. But using the 4 ohm taps, I suspect that it makes your M-60s work much better with the Apogees then without. Apogees are not known for being tube friendly, BTW; this is a good thing.

Your speaker does not 'need' 3 ohms to work properly. What the ZERO is doing is loading the amp at about 16 ohms, and you are loading the 4 ohm tap at about 4 ohms, which is nominal for the speaker. It is not a 3 ohm load. I think you have also noticed that the speaker is not that hard to drive, once the impedance issue is dealt with.

The transformer seems to have a break-in period, and also has about a 1/2 hour warmup characteristic. So you have to allow for those two things as well, and if I were you I would experiment with speaker cables, unless you have the type that has the cables integrated into the unit.

Contact me if you have any other questions.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Zero Autoformers - Ralph 10:55:47 06/07/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.