Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: Berning ZH270 or Seigfried compared to Atma-sphere MA60

tcain, hi. My poor efforts to describe what David built may be compounded by misunderstanding of how his circuit works. I knew it was a matter of making the circuit do the job of letting the tube work into a load it could stand: ie adequate transfer of power to do work, all of this resultant from David's basic dislike of the audio output transformer. It was my understanding based on what David had explained about his circuit (interviews) that capturing a dynamic mimesis of the transfer characteristics of the tube in operation (voltage swing more than current) and transforming same into the realm of current more than voltage via lots of active circuitry employing much higher than audio "carrier" frequency,if you will, and semi-resonant inductors, etc. Doesn't this high frequency carrier have to be filtered/suppressed entirely from output? In this way David's amplifier reminded me somewhat of a frequency modulation transmitter. This is a very complex way to get rid of the output transformer. I am glad you like your Berning amplifier. I have one too, the EA-230 rebuilt with teflon couplers, Black Gate, and better diodes. I remember the EA-2100 with very complex Berning power supply to do away with the traditional kind using high frequency oscillator and inductors that would shift frequency under load, etc. I never heard one that sounded the same in my system. I heard 3. I was also convinced that the power supplies ( technically switch mode of unusual design as described ) radiated something because my wife and I would get severe headaches with these amplifiers turned on after about 15 minutes.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Berning ZH270 or Seigfried compared to Atma-sphere MA60 - elektron 08:13:03 06/06/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.