Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Re: HUM with M60 Mk2.2 and Avantgarde Uno

I've been using M60's/ MP-1 with A/G duos all balanced since 2000. I have two suggestions for you. The first addresses the innate sensitivity issue of your speakers when paired with M60's.
I suggest you proceed with removing V2 after obtaining the properly shorted replacement tube socket from Ralph made especially for this purpose. This will reduce the gain of your amps significantly [don't worry, you'll still have beaucoup drive for the Unos]. Just make sure to check DC offset and bias for any changes and correct accordingly [their values remain the same].
Secondly, unusual levels of hum can be an indicator of a less than optimal/failing power tube or driver tube. I would suspect this to be a more likely in a scenario in which there seems to be a relative imbalance between the amount of noise you're hearing from one side to the other [i.e. one side is louder/buzzier than the other]. Ob viously a tube tester capable of measuring octal tubes will be required to perform the necessary checks although visual inspection of the power tubes for ouright shorts can be performed at home by eye as outlined in the Atmasphere website. Failed or failing tubes are also generally indicated when the extremes of range in the set screws to adjust DC offset and bias have to be brought into play in order to accomplish these settings [or if they cannot be achieved at all].
But I would look to pulling V2 first. It's the driver tube [6Sn7] on the right front as you face each chassis. Just pull, sustitute the socket you get from Ralph, turn it on and I think you'll experience immediate major relief. Warm it up and them check your adjustments and you're done [hopefully].
If curious you can check out my whole system on the asylum under this moniker.
Good luck!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.