Home MagneQuest/Peerless Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: What Type of Cap for Parafeed?

From another post on another subject:

"I have no idea how different caps will sound (to you, in your system...) and to be honest, I wouldn't admit it if I did. When it comes to caps, you pays your money and takes your choice. I avoid the subject of cables too. :^)"

People's reactions to caps vary a lot, and so far it appears that taste is the predominant criterion. There is virtually no consensus on what is best, and very little on sonic descriptions. To complicate things, PIO caps are said by some to sound less soft in parafeed applications than in interstage coupling applications.

I have enough Scotch ancestry to use the cheaper alternatives when there is no clear preference, so I use Solens. But then, I also have not pursued studies to compare caps - I'd rather change the circuit to get an effect. I don't question the value of parts selection, it just interests me less.

FWIW (not much!) here's my summary of what I hear others saying:

Mylar sounds muddy
Polypropylene sounds plasticky
Teflon sounds buttery but brittle and edgy
Oil sounds smooth and euphonic

Construction details are said to have a big effect, confusing the issue. Steel leads are bad, foil instead of metalization is good, winding tension counts, etc etc.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: What Type of Cap for Parafeed? - Paul Joppa 11:51:24 05/23/04 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.