Home MagneQuest/Peerless Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: TL-404 , more than one version for impedance taps?

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your help,

I cut through the top layer of brown paper, opening up a very small flap for a look-see and found that the tabs are mounted on small pieces of thin flexible fibreglass board that would likely help protect the windings below from the heat above so gave a little more heat and solder but no change from 130Ω.

130Ω is close to 50% greater than nominal so at first seemed large but thinking again, with no DC drop to consider and the coil's AC impedance far larger, I thought maybe now it's not an issue.

Putting a probe across tabs 1 and 4 and a sine across the whole thing the response was ruler flat from 10 to 50Khz. I don't think I've ever seen another transformer that flat do that!

It's "good" sibling tested exactly the same.

So they went into the circuit again this evening and so far so good. The sound is very distinctly different from the 5KΩ output transformers that they are displacing and I think I'll reserve judgement for a while until I get past the novelty and start to take in more than the obvious plusses.

Thanks again!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: TL-404 , more than one version for impedance taps? - Ian L 15:50:52 01/30/23 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.