Home MagneQuest/Peerless Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Mike's status

I noticed a post from Mike on Facebook that was more definitive about the status of MagneQuest than what I was able to find last year. (In retrospect, I think I should have just asked him directly on Facebook!) I assume all this is public on Facebook, so I'm posting it here for the benefit of AA MQ fans.

Mike replied to a (6 year old) question about whether he would say things were winding down (I suspect the pun was intended) today: "Hello. Yes. I retired nearly two years ago. It was a great run of 30 years. And I thank all my customers worldwide who made my dream come true."

Jean-Francois Lessard then commented
"We miss your fantastic work Mike. Wasn't anybody interested in taking over?"

Mike:
"Hello Jean-Francois Lessard, Bas Horneman, Taran Singleton, Jonathan Yeager, etc.
I would have loved to have found a suitable person to take over MQ and would I've been flexible and willing to provide technical support.
I would have been willing to stay on in the craft side as well as engineering as an employee.
Honestly the straw that really broke my back was customer support burn out.
Having to write ten emails to make a $200 or $250 sale. Not sustainable.
If I could have found a technically sufficient distributor to handle customer support and the sales transaction I may have stayed in business a few more years.
I really loved the craft side.... and I grew into the engineering and design side over the 30 years.
Quick short story....
Looking back when I bought the peerless drawings in 1989 I knew zip about transformer design.
The seller could have sent me blueprints for a farm tractor and I would not have known better.
However quickly I lucked out and David Hafler put me in touch with the guy who used to be the chief winder at Acrosound who took me under his wings and began to teach me how to wind transformers.
Someday I'll tell more of that story.
My second lucky strike was meeting a former transformer designer from Technitrol which is the company that built all of dynaco's transformers. He also took me under his wings and I learned a lot about different aspects of transformer design.
But don't let me ramble on..."

Here's a link to the facebook exchange, though I don't know if it will work for others. https://www.facebook.com/michael.lafevre/posts/773766506005987

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Mike's status - Pete B. 08:04:37 08/26/21 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.