Home MagneQuest/Peerless Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: BCM11?

As you point out using the BCM11 with its 100mA current design is not ideal for a plate choke for a 12AX7.

The BCP16AG was designed, as Gordon noted, to be used as a plate choke for a 12AX7, 6072. I think Mike designed this off the Freed PGC-16 which is rated 400H/1mA. I expect the Magnaquest choke to have higher inductance as Mike probably stacked the lams differently than Freed did. These Freed parts were probably used in preamps and mixing consoles with 12AX7 tubes.

Yes the BCP16AG can replace your plate resistor but it is not a straight swap as the DC resistance of the BCP16AG is probably different than the plate resistor you wish to replace. So you will have to accommodate that difference in DC resistance to experiment.

Used as the plate load of the first stage could lower power supply noise passed on to following stages as a choke offers more power supply isolation compared to a resistor generally, though chokes can pick up their own electromagnetic "noise." It could also offer a little more drive to following stages that can be SE or PP. Whether the effort is worth the cost is a personal matter.
Matt

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: BCM11? - mwiebe 06:41:21 02/24/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.