Home MagneQuest/Peerless Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: TFA-204 300B Operating Points

That choke in the ground of the power supply has to be an error, particularly because you show a voltage drop (12VDC) between the two filter capacitors. It must go in between the 22uf and 100uf on the high voltage side, not the ground side.

Personally, you use the 22uf as you don't want to reach the maximum capacitor input to filter rating of the 5Y3GT, then you charge up a 100uf behind it, using the choke as a current limiter (but in reality, you are using it as a pi filter to get lower ripple). Why would you do this? Just put a 5AR4 in there and increase the first filter cap. You are going to have much lower ripple after that. OR just do 22uf->choke->22uf->choke->22uf+plate. (a-la Bugle amplifier if I recall).

Consider, if you hit a HUGE passage in music, the 5Y3GT still has to charge up the 100uf, through the choke. You could run out of power... why go there? Either put more filtering in, or get a tube that can supply more current to charge up your reserves. My $0.02.

If I am on my high horse, those 480ohm balancing resistors in the 5V supply are also being used to drop the voltage according to your schematic. Personally, (and this is totally my $0.02), I would have my transformer winder make the AC voltage going to the plates of the 5Y3GT (ops, 5AR4 in my dream) 11V less, and ditch the resistors. Otherwise, they have to be large, and you will wake up at 2:30am in a cold sweat wondering if those resistors are "good enough" to go in your power supply. :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: TFA-204 300B Operating Points - triode3 14:58:29 03/07/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.