Home MagneQuest/Peerless Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: nickel vs. pin EXO-46?

Thanks Gianluca for posting.

I'll say this... the vast majority of our EXO thirty and forty series are ordered with all nickel laminations. And I've yet to receive a complaint!

That said... all nickel choice is not universal and I have some customers with good ears and extensive listening experience who prefer pinstripes (Jim Dowdy comes to mind if I name drop) and others who groove on M3, M4 and M6.

Personally I prefer the M series in most (but perhaps not all) applications. To me it has greater transparency, more speed and is more neutral sounding. Nickel to me gives a softer focus (sort of akin to a soft camera lens) and is richer and fatter sounding.

Out of the box the M series lams may require a little more burn in before settling down.

System dependency... if for example your rocking some Diatone PM610's the M series is the ticket. the Diatones are themselves the "nickel" equivalent in being a bit darker and very mellow. The M series livens up this driver nicely.

Though wholly impractical I wish it were possible to have a lending library where folks could try out the different possibilities.

And it would be neat to maybe do some A versus B demos such as Paul Joppa had done with tube rolling at previous VSAC's.

MSL

Builder of MagneQuest & Peerless transformers since 1989

Edits: 01/06/16 01/06/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.