Home MagneQuest/Peerless Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Please recommend a Parafeed 45 project

Hi Andy:

I don't ever recommend ratio'ing transformers up or down. In each case the result is that one or more of the significant design parameters are compromised from the proper use at the design centers.

The beauty of the EXO thirty and forty series is in part the single impedance secondary which then has been optimized for that secondary impedance. This even moreso than the RH design.

I realize I'm spending your money--- but unless your changing speakers on a frequent basis--- I'd almost recommend buying two sets of the thirty or fourty series, one set with the 8 ohm tap and the other with the 16 ohm. they should be easy enough to change out if switching from one set of speakers to another.... and this way your more likely to keep all of the subjective cues (i.e., sound quality) the same.

BCP-15 has been the first choice of hundreds of DIY'ers building around the 45 tube. Besides grid chokes we've probably built more BCP-15's than any other piece in our catalogs. Good choice of plate choke with the 45 tube, undoubtedly.

Re: grid chokes. I would not spec the HN version for this application. I would either go with the LN or a M4 version. While a lot of users will automatically spec a nickel choice first--- one should consider that from a technical point of view the M4 version will more than do the job--- it will produce so much inductance that the L will not be a limiting factor. So to me it boils down to sonics and cost. The M4 is a remarkable lam and does not get the respect\recognition that it deserves even vis-a-vis a nickel option.

Partly it's a subjective preference when it comes to nickel vs say M6, M4, or M3. The nickel has a slightly warmer sound and a bit more emphasis in the midbass. the M6, M4, and M3's have progressively more see through and detail retrieval to many end users and sound "quicker" or "faster".

One consideration might be to mix--- if your using a nickel output spec in a M4 or M3 grid choke. If using a nickel grid choke spec in a M4 or M3 output. Please note that we might not have a full complement of choices in every size lam of these different core materials.

Re. the blocking cap. I've only ever used a single piece so I cannot comment further.

MSL

Builder of MagneQuest & Peerless transformers since 1989

Edits: 02/05/11 02/05/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.