Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: Message to group: RE: Conclusion of Freeze Effect Project

>>As for the pseudo-scientist side, do their opinions really matter? It's been shown that most of them can't determine differences that aren't painfully obvious, like speakers. Their listening threshold is low. I'd feel sorry for them if they'd at least make some attempts to listen but it reminds me of my children who'd essentially say at the dinner table "I don't like this. No, I've never tried it but I hate it anyway". <<

Again, I have to admit, you are absolutely bang-on correct on every point. The pathological skeptics of PHP are quite like petulant teenagers, who've barely started growing pubic hair but insist to you that they know everything in the world now. And oblivious to the concept of irony, they will declare that -you're- the clueless one. Since it's no longer "PC" to smack them on the back of the head after they say something stupid like that, what can you do but grin and wait for them to figure out how wrong they are? Even though it may take 20 years before they start to get it?

So why bother with the closed-minded pseudoscientist self-deluded lifelong skeptic who's idea of a hi fidelity system is a QSC amp, a DVD player from Wal-Mart, a parametric EQ, a Radio Shack db meter and 16 speakers? Because for one, so long as you are making correct claims about audio, they will almost always be taking up a contrary point of view. So in the pseudo-objectivist lughead, you have a guaranteed adversary. Without adversaries, these places get -mite-y- boring. (They can be boring enough as it is...). I could post a claim where I declare that speakers are the most important item in the hifi chain and that the best thing you could do to tweak your system is tack egg crates to your wall. But then I'd have 50 people all agreeing with me. And where does it go from there? More agreements? Borrring! Even the adversaries don't want that. Oh they might whine and complain about me, long and loud, but those same whiners are the ones who won't and/or can't leave me alone. Every time they see me coming, they put an extra bowl of popcorn and beer nuts on the table.

Also, I like a challenge, and I like to be challenged. You have to admit, attempting to convince 50 audio hobbyists who are NOT in the habit of ever doing serious listening comparisons in audio (since they have convinced themselves that everything sounds the same), who can't determine all but the most painful differences in audio -because- they are not in the habit of doing serious listening comparisons (since they have convinced themselves that everything sounds the same), and who are so backward in their knowledge of audio that after 30 years of evidence to the contrary, they still think that -cables- are pretty much all the same (good heavens!!), -that- is a challenge. It's a little like teaching Klu Klux Klansmen how to get down and boogie on Soul Train. You gotta love a challenge to even try. It's not for the faint of heart. I may not get far but, that's not really the goal. The goal is to always have fun trying.

Objective Audiophile 2007

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Message to group: RE: Conclusion of Freeze Effect Project - Posy Rorer 01:27:08 06/02/07 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.