Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

Plexiglass rack?

I recently had an aquarium stand made on measure by a specialized company. The stand is in effect a structure made of ultra rigid and strong steel tubes, with a square section. If there are some aquarium enthousiasts here they will know what kind of stands I'm talking about.

Anyways.

I was thinking. The cost of that stand was very low (around 85USD) , but solidity and finish are great.
I'm considering having that company build a rack frame for me, wich would be exactly the size I want (for aesthetic reasons I'd like it long and low, as it also doubles as TV stand and sits between the speakers). Two levels of shelves would then be enough (since I could put three full width components side by side on each level).

A friend of mine is able to source thick (20mm) plexiglass sheets for cheap (upcycling) and I know someone who has the tools to cut it and polish it.

How would you guys rate plexiglass as an audio shelf? Is it a decent material?
If not, what would be the best material to use?
I'm planning to experiment with coupling / decoupling of the shelves and the steel frame.

I mainly want something that looks good and is less of a resonance trap than your usual "design TV furniture". If I improve the looks of my audio rack, it'll be easier to talk the WAF into letting me put putting acoustic treatments on the walls later ^^ that's the idea basically.

Right now using a self-made rack using Ikea lack tables with shortened legs, and while it "sounds" good (,), it looks cheap when you stand close to it - mainly because it IS super cheap.

Edits: 10/28/19

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - Plexiglass rack? - KanedaK 06:57:00 10/28/19 (10)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.