Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

Re: Why do placebos work "X" percent of the time?

"I have simply reached the point where if somebody tells me their system sounds better when they wear a Big Bird costume, or maybe even use the skeletal remains of chickens as isolation devices, my thoughts are basically "Good for you". Then I go on about my business."

Not only am I all for that, I am one of those people who will base my purchases on sighted evaluations. My theory is simple. Yes bias affects permiate our perceptions. Yes one can eliminate *certain* biases under blind conditions. In the end when we all sit down to listen for pleasure however, we are listening under sighted conditions and biases are once again in play. Personally I like auditioning things blind and sighted. It gives me a chance to try to eliminate sighted biases and live with them both. In the ned what I like is what is better...for me. That is what counts. People who think bias effects don't matter are fooling themselves and people who think that DBTs will save them from bias effects are also fooling themselves. I am at peace with the uncertanty of my aesthetic perceptions. I enjoy them just the same.

OTOH. Snake oils salesmen are not OK with me. When manufatcurers knowingly or irresponsibly misrepresent their products I have a problem with that. Claims of research that never was done or done with no regard to research protocols, 10,000 dollar cables with "networks" that are nothing but an empty plastic box with cables running straight through them. Assertions that plainly and obviously are in violation of the laws of physics, etc Thses things are not acceptable IMO and manufacturers should be called on the carpet for this sort of nonsense.

Edits: 60/20/01 60/20/01 60/21/01

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.