Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

Very interesting point!

I hadn't thought about the comparison to a restaurant ambience, plating of the food, etc - but this is essential to the overall experience. "Flavor" as an attribute isn't necessarily contained within the food exclusively - although it lends some safety to think of it that way. Like all perceptions, "flavor" is an abstraction that coheres in the mind (I use that phrase too often, maybe) ...

Here's an example: My wife is from Japan. The first time she tasted Cheez Whiz here in the states (while she was @ university) she said that she thought it tasted like a portabello mushroom or had some similar flavor in that respect. So is there an absolute flavor to Cheez Whiz, concretely translatable from tongue to tongue, or does it affect each person a little differently?

As an audio example: I found a Roland Kirk LP that I absolutely LOVE. It's called "I Talk with the Spirits" - on which Kirk plays flute exclusively and the jazz is more or less traditional and less out, free, second chicago school, avantgarde, etc. It's a statement LP about flute playing, actually.

As a jazz lover and collector I think this is one of my all-time favorite LPs. I have several clients that are also avid jazz collectors, and while visiting they have played some fabulous tracks for me and I think that - in most cases - we have very similar tastes. One of my clients obtained a copy of the LP at my suggestion - wasn't terribly thrilled with the music. Very surprising to me, as I thought the music was entirely within the range of things he had played for me and professed to like.

I think we tend to think of perceptions as concrete for emotional safety and social wellbeing, but where the rubber meets the road each of us can look at the same thing and see something different, or at least see the same thing differently.

Flavor, as you suggested, has many parts to it that aren't necessarily contained within the food itself - ambience, plating, celebrity-chef status all seem to affect our perception of flavor.

%22In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.%22 - Yogi Berra

Edits: 50/53/01 50/53/01 50/60/01

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Very interesting point! - Sommovigo 08:41:18 04/19/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.