Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

Don't mean

to be a tease, but I only own tube gear, except for the CD players. It may take a while before I do more experimentation and come up with something definitive.

I do like the the larger 6.3 volt lantern type batteries on my CD player and I have tons of microfarads on it: actually whole farads ( since one farad low voltage caps are relatively cheap).

What is interesting and something I need to explore a bit more fully is that I have many large computer grade electrolytics: 450 volt at 1800 uF, measuring 3.5 inches in diameter and about 9 inches tall. Hooking up even the one farad caps to the battery does not really create any sparking even when the battery is connected. Hooking up the monster caps does produce sparking.

In terms of capacitance, they are smaller than the one farad caps I have used, so one would expect a great amount more of the sparking using the one farad caps. Its the opposite, however, even though the farad caps have excellent ESR ratings.

I do know that the miniature power supply caps employ "flash" cap technology, whereby they acid etch the foil to create more surface area and thereby increase capacitance. The large computer grade types use the traditional smooth foil, IIRC. I am wondering if the acid etching actually creates an issue. From a theoretical basis, capacitors are supposed to be parallel plates. The etching would mean that the surfaces are not really parallel, and the peaks may arc before the valleys do. When flash caps first gained popularity I did notice that they had a much brighter top end than the standard computer grade stuff.

I have to do more experimentation there too.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Don't mean - unclestu 13:01:43 05/13/11 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.