Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: The pattern with crackpot inventions

"would not require any abuse of instrumentation to demonstrate success"

Ah, but that always seems to happen to wit...

"Apparently he has now pushed it well below the noise floor of his spectrum analyzer. And since he can no longer see it, he proclaims it to be gone. I eagerly await the results of real-world testing of this new breakthrough." That seems to me much the same thing as not understanding (or admitting?) that the reading on a 'standard' AC voltmeter is dependent upon the crest-factor of the signal.

The tricky thing is knowing whether they are evil or just ignorant. It's almost impossible to tell and if they are speaking to someone with no background in the field the presenter's earnestness is a large part of the story. If they really don't know any better, they can be seriously sincere and honest indeed. Perhaps the definitive test is unplug the load and start to plug the input into the output. If, as you approach the socket, the inventor is running away as fast as he can it might be a good idea to stop the test and buy stock!

Thanks for the link Tony, I definitely enjoy it. Talking about modulation can lead to strange conundrums. An oxymoron that I've always been fond of is that Hams call keyed transmissions 'CW' (continuous wave). Naturally it's anything but, however it sort of makes sense if you look at it the right way: when your transmitter is 'on' i.e. you have pressed the key, then the output is continuous until you let go. Now THAT'S narrow band, no information is transmitted during the period that the transmitter is on! Allow me to offer you some friends and family shares at a good price...

Regards, Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.