Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

rambling on

Sometimes, being an old man, thoughts come a bit slowly.

In looking at the original ground control tweak by Bud Purvine, I recall the original PS Audio B cable, which morphed into the Kimber PBJ. Derived from an idea from Stan Warren, IIRC. A three wire braid made of multigauge wire, but with two ground wires and one positive. The additional ground lead certainly added to the fullness of the bottom end. Again, one wonders if the additional ground wire is not acting on Bud's hypothesis.

In modifying equipment, I have long aware that the ground wire or busses are rather critical to sound. Most preamps tend to use a fairly thin ground buss to which all the input and output grounds are attached. I find that you can get significant more fullness of sound by running individual wires to the ground plane, preferably as close as possible to the grounds of the B+ caps in the section power supply.

I find grounding, say a phono section input to the power supply cap of the phono regulator stage is more beneficial than grounding to any point, say the line stage regulators.

In fact, you can also juggle tonal balance by the ratio of ground wire to the positive. More positive = brighter sound: more ground = more bass. If a two to one ratio is two much then try a 2 to 3 ratio, etc.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.