Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: Interesting

[quote] "because you have long maintained that the treatments and tweaks affect the listener more than the the gear. That certainly may be true, but therein lies a major conundrum.

One major issue is the variability of human sensitivity. Levitin states the cochlear sensitivity can be as little a 4 nM and that time differences of 10 uS are discernible. Obviously since there are deaf individuals, the range goes from zero to such numbers so that there is a wide range." [/quote]

A major conundrum may exist BETWEEN different people with a varied and wide range of hearing abilities but not necessarily with the SAME person, regularly, day in, day out !! Such wide variability of sensitivity you refer to does not usually vary that much with ONE person - and certainly not on a daily basis. So, I think one could sensibly presume that any ONE person does not go from the extremes you list (4 nM to 10 uS) on a regular basis - so I think we can accept that if a particular person says that they have heard differences (better or worse) in their sound, then they have HEARD those differences i.e that the differences ACTUALLY took place in the sound and not on their cochlea and not because one day their sensitivity was SO different to what their sensitivity had been the day before !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote] "When Geoff states that a piece of rainbow foil in page 150 of a book in another room has can effect," [/quote]

Geoff is correct. But Geoff (I presume) is talking about one person's reaction to what is going on in their own environment - and it is their OWN environment which people are concerned about (sensitive to) and react to !! Nothing to do with :-

[quote] "then I would suspect that the foil does not obey the inverse square law, so that someone with a larger strip then should have an effect on his neighbor's sound system, and that your home or warehouse should have quite an effect on at least the entire block encircling your facility." [/quote]

You are STILL trying to fit things you are not understanding into the conventional electronic and acoustic theories.

Our discoveries and our descriptions of our discoveries have been going on for the past 30 years. Many of our customers have been with us each tortuous step by each tortuous step and have therefore been able to follow (to some small amount) our experiments and subsequent reasoning as to why certain things are happening with sound.

I have always described it as 'venturing along a set of stepping stones', one by one. You don't have to abandon your past, you don't have to abandon what you have already learnt and you can easily retrace your steps back to where you started from but at least, if you are prepared to venture out, you can learn much more in your travels.

It would nearly take me the next 30 years to DESCRIBE the past 30 years and WHY and HOW we have reached the conclusions we are reaching (work is still ongoing) but a lot of it has already BEEN explained, you have obviously not been taking particular notice, unclestu !!! I say 'obviously' because if you HAD been taking more notice, you would be as aware as Geoff (and many others) are of our work and discoveries !!

In response to some questions put to me on the Stereophile Forum I have just recently made another attempt at explaining a general concept. On the Stereophile Forum there is a 'thread' entitled "Controversial discussions" within the "Tweaks'n'Tips" section. It is a long thread but within it I have made various attempts to start explaining again where our thinking is at and why and how we have reached this point in our 'extensive years in audio'.

Basically one has to view the whole thing as the full AUDIO system. I.e.
The musical information of Dvorak's New World is on the disc, the musical information of Dvorak's New World travels through the audio equipment and the wiring and, yes, is vulnerable to being affected during those travels. The musical information Dvorak's New World is presented into the room, via the loudspeakers and travels across the room to the ear drum as acoustic musical information Dvorak's New World and here also it is vulnerable to being affected. The musical information Dvorak's New World is then handled by the hearing mechanism until it reaches the start of the auditory nerve - past the chochlea !!!.

It is STILL musical information Dvorak's New World !!! As it is conveyed along the auditory nerve (similar to being conveyed along an audio cable but by electro-chemicals rather than an electrical signal) it is just as vulnerable to being affected !!! It is the musical information which eventually reaches the working memory - for the working memory to resolve and present a 'sound picture' to the brain which is the ACTUAL "sound" - NOT what might have originally been on the disc !!!! It is what musical information reaches the working memory - at the end of it's travels - which is the actual 'sound' !! You might get most of the original information which was on the disc reaching the working memory, on the other hand you might have lost (or changed) 5%, 10%, 15%, 20% - who knows. You only KNOW when you do something, in the room, which allows you to resolve far more information than you had heard previously !!! By doing something which cannot possibly have affected the audio signal, cannot possibly have affected the acoustic information but has yet changed the sound !!!

In exactly the same way that the musical information Dvorak's New World can be affected as it goes through the audio system - by such as capacitance, inductance, resistance, the dielectric effect, RF interference (to name but a few), then the information reaching the ear drum will be different to the information orginally on the disc. Yes, enough information will get through for the working memory to still identify the musical information as Dvorak's New World but with some of the information either missing or altered !!!!!!!

So, Yes. Unclestu. The musical inforrmation Dvorak's New World CAN be affected and changed whilst travelling through the audio system. Yes, the acoustic musical information Dvorak's New World in the room CAN be affected and changed as it travels across the room. Yes, an individual's own hearing mechanism (chochlea etc) comes into the picture also but the point I am trying to make is that there is still the auditory nerve STILL as part of the WHOLE audio system, no different to the actual audio wiring being part of the audio system!!

If a problem - an effect on the audio musical information Dvorak's New World - IS at the auditory nerve, then the actual audio equipment, the actual acoustics of the room, the hearing mechanism has all been left behind - the musical information is already past them - so they no longer come into the picture !!!!!!!!! Or into the argument, or into the discussion.

You then have to start asking " What can be affecting this musical information as it travels along the auditory nerve ?" Other stress chemicals affecting the actual electro-chemicals carrying the musical information ??? Stress chemicals caused by what ????? By all that is going on in the modern environment ????

THIS is where we (Peter and I) started OUR 'stepping stone' journey 30 years ago. When we experienced changes in the sound we could not explain from within conventional electronic and acoustic theories. When various 'clues' presented themselves as possible explanations. But, unclestu, to recognise them as various 'clues' one has to stop looking for solutions and for ALL the answers SOLELY from within conventional electronic and acoustic theories !!!

Many have argued (in relation to the concept that it is the human being who is changing the 'sound') that, in that case, it must be emotional or psychological changes causing the tension within the person, such as happiness or sadness and NOTHING to do with any actual PHYSICAL changes taking place in the environment, outside the human being.

Whereas I would argue that there ARE physical changes, outside the human being, which can then be the cause of the tension and the resulting 'stress chemicals'.
And that these 'outside physical changes' CAN be influenced, physically, which in turn can reduce adverse things in the environment, which had been causing the tension in the first place.

Nothing to do with Enophile's conclusions "There must be a defect, within the particular human being, which NEEDS the remedial action of a tweak i.e as as a "prop", as a "potion", as an "elixir", as a ritual" in order to correct that defect". And, before I get the usual retort "There is nothing to be ashamed of if someone requires a remedial action" from Enophile. No one is debating that one should or should not be ashamed, what I try to emphasise, each time I challenge Enophile's use of that term 'remedial', is that whilstever people (him in this case) think in terms of 'remedial', 'defect', they are actually then blinkered against other concepts. In exactly the same way that you, unclestu, are blinkered against other concepts if ALL you can consider, re changes in the sound, is that the changes are caused by changes to the audio signal or changes to the acoustic air pressure waves and vibrations.

To explain the effect of books, of words (which are all just examples of MODERN communication) and don't forget, communication in one form or another has been around millions and millions of years throughout evolution, (words and their meaning are just the lastest, more sophisticated version of 'communication') I would have to go through EACH step, show EACH clue which took us in a particular direction. Many people have already been along that path with us - some from the beginning, some such as Geoff for quite a lot of that time !!

Your mockery of Sheldrake and Sheldrake's concept of 'linkage' by morphic resonance shows more a fear of being challenged than any desire to venture along 'any stepping stones'.

Regards,
May Belt,

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Interesting - May Belt 04:25:22 08/05/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.