Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

Interesting

because you have long maintained that the treatments and tweaks affect the listener more than the the gear. That certainly may be true, but therein lies a major conundrum.

One major issue is the variability of human sensitivity. Levitin states the cochlear sensitivity can be as little a 4 nM and that time differences of 10 uS are discernible. Obviously since there are deaf individuals, the range goes from zero to such numbers so that there is a wide range.

Are you stating that every individual has sufficient sensitivity, and if not, then what exactly is that sensitivity comprised of?

When Geoff states that a piece of rainbow foil in page 150 of a book in another room has can effect, then I would suspect that the foil does not obey the inverse square law, so that someone with a larger strip then should have an effect on his neighbor's sound system, and that your home or warehouse should have quite an effect on at least the entire block encircling your facility.

It brings to mind the theories of phlogiston and ether a century or two earlier. Interesting but of no discernible means of investigation ( I take that back, as Michaelson-Morley disproved the ether theory).

Again, my quarrel is essentially with Geoff, has never tendered workable and truly workable explanations. For example his explanation of brilliant pebbles was that it was tuned to 320 Hz. Why 320 Hz? Why not use a tuning fork? Why use a bunch of colored rocks in a plastic or glass jar?

In terms of advancing audio, it does little to advance the field.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.