Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: Piezoelectric crystals

The basalt rocks don't have the well organized symmetrical crystal lattice that one finds in clear quariz, smokey quartz, aquamarine, topaz rumbled stones. When I refer to *crystals* I refer to quartz, agate, aquamarine, ruby, topaz, jade, tourmaline, etc. Of course, the purer the crystal the more uniform and symmetrial the lattice structure. This is not to say basalt will do nothing, there could be mass loading going on...who knows?

The lattice is important because the atoms in the material are allowed to move back and forth with ease. If the structure were not symmetrical the atoms could not move freely.

Big doesn't necessarily mean better. My Mikro size BP comprise crystals of various types that are only 2-3 mm each. A Mikro packet comprises only 25-30 of these minuscule crystals.

Measurement is best done with SPL meter and test tone. This method allows determination of locations in the room where improvements to the sound will be experienced. Such as in or near room corners. Or on the wall at first reflection points, for example. Of course, anyone is free to measure these things any way they wish.

Edits: 07/17/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.