Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: Piezoelectric crystals

From the Shakti Stone White paper:

"Through a unique application of quartz oscillators, a broad spectrum of RFI is attenuated. Being a piezeo-electric (sic) material, quartz is capable of converting an electric field into mechanical energy. In situations where quartz is employed in active components, the desired goal is to accentuate one resonant frequency to the exclusion of all others. However, within this stage of SHAKTI, quartz is used in a manner to produce the broadest sampling of frequencies to better absorb the somewhat unpredictable EMI. One of the reasons quartz has never been used in this type of circuit is because, as effective as it is as a converter of electrical energy, its very high Q means that most of the conversion to mechanical energy swiftly changes back to electrical. To overcome this problem, careful experimentation produced the necessary resistive element that is incorporated to substantially lower the Q. The result is effective dissipation within the first 1/2 cycle. This stage provides absorption/dissipation benefits for both external and self -generated sources of RFI."

[A little odd that the author chose to use the term piezeo-electric as the correct term is piezoelectric.]

It should be pointed out that the Shakti Stone actually operates - according to the white paper and patent - via the converse piezoelectric effect - conversion of electrical energy (RFI/EMI) to mechanical energy. For this to occur successfully - as pointed out in the white paper - a resistive element is required. There is no reason to believe that a "piezoelectric crystal" (by itself) is capable of absorbing RFI/EMI without such a resisitive element and every reason to believe it can't.

I therefore propose there must be some other mechanism in crystals, when used individually or in groups - besides piezoelectric effect - responsible for the change in sound -- at least when discussing RFI/EMI absorption. I also propose that - in almost all cases - the actual operation of a crystal or group of crystals in an audio system has nothing whatsoever to do with RFI/EMI absorption - rather acoustic/mechanical energy absorption!

Edits: 06/26/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.