Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

I debated a while

before replying. One of the thing which distresses me is the fact that too many consumers think that by throwing hideous sums of money on audio components that they will achieve both nirvana and perfection. Audio nirvana is obviously a state of mind and can be achieved at any level with many varied components. Perfection is far more difficult both to define and to achieve.

I will discount the Audio Nirvana, because that is a state of mind. Audio perfection is no easier to define, however, because musical perfection and performance is very difficult to achieve even in real life. Levitin partially discusses this, but admits that the vocabulary is not for the typical layman, and that even musicians themselves develop a certain vocabulary unique to themselves, sometimes.

Training is of essence. One can take a formal class, but even beyond that it takes years if not decades (in my case and in my experience) of analytical listening. There are very few listeners who do that sort of listening and to continue such listening over many decades is something else.

To not be able to hear certain things should not be construed as a insult. To think that one's hearing is better than everyone else or the same as everyone else's is likewise very flawed. I have very good friends who are perfectly happy with their Bose Wave. I have friends who have invested over a $100K into their Audio Systems who are not happy with their sound. For many you have to grow into your system and into the idea that there is a certain "sound" which you find pleasing to your ear.

There is no doubt that for the "uneducated" ear certain facets of music are relatively unimportant. Likewise, those aspects may be important to another individual. That Is the principle why7 I dislike when someone claims that some tweak sounds "better", a very subjective and a statement of qualia and open to doubt.

If I say I adding a quartz crystal in a certain location in my electronics imparts a clearer top end, more controlled and less shrill. That is far more useful comment than saying ii sounds better. You can then assess your own sound and determine if that is a change that you desire.

In examining the insides of most audio components, there is very little that is truly custom made. Most components use off the shelf components that can be relatively easily replicated. I find it more interesting to find out why certain components make the kind of difference that is attributed to them ( caps, resisters, wires, etc). Not enough members of the asylum spend time doing this. and I have often stated that the delta x factor is more important than the final outcome.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.