Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

further readings

Another highly interesting book: This is Your Brain on Music, Daniel Leviton, published by Dutton 2006. It is great follow up to the other books I have been reading: Edelman's Second Nature and Pert's Molecules of emotion. This one however is specifically focused on the music aspects of the brain, both in performance and in listening. Apparently Leviton has been instrumental in the use of the fMRI in analyzing brains under the influence of music and can state how much and what part of the brain is stimulated by listening to music (current MRI's do not allow for most instruments to be played while undergoing a scan). He draws the conclusion that the motor control aspects of the brain are intimately involved in the listening process, which is very interesting and draws me to a second comment.

On the Discover Channel I caught a glimpse of a program called, IIRC, Weird Science. One segment covered the transference of memories claimed by transplant patients, and the doctor( didn't get the name) was explaining that the muscle masses have many neurons which may hold memories. This ties in to Pert's assertion that the endorphins and other chemicals stimulating the brain are often produced at the site of stimulation as the the neural transference mechanisms are too slow for many instinctive reactions. It ties in to Edelman's thesis in that the human brains is an associative organ, tying many parts of both brain and body to create a unified organism. We are all familiar with muscle memory but apparently that muscle memory has associations in the brain which further stimulate certain memories. What is fascinating is that this association may partially explain the the issues which plague sighted and true blind testing and comparisons.

It is all very interesting

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - further readings - unclestu 12:11:30 06/04/10 (80)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.