Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: Please don't speak for me, May.

My reply to Geoff was an attempt to illustrate different people's approaches to how they 'think about audio'.

I would suggest that you have made your approach quite clear a few times. You will obviously correct me if I am wrong !! But here is my assessment from what you have posted in the past.

You believe that most Hi Fi equipment presents a wealth of information into the room.
That YOU can hear that wealth of information, quite naturally, without much additional assistance.
But that other people who describe hearing that particular 'tweak', that particular 'tweak', that particular 'tweak' and that particular 'tweak' must NEED those 'props'., those 'talismen'., those 'rituals' in order for THEM to be enabled to 'get into that wealth of information which is already there', but that you, Enophile, don't need such 'props'., such 'talismen'., such 'rituals' because you are already 'into' that wealth of information - naturally, without help !!

That you don't need them (those particular 'tweaks'), but other people do need those 'aids' - to get the same effect !!!

In my reply to Geoff's question I was attempting to position your outlook within the 'strata' of the way people 'think about audio'. That you are in the strata somewhere in between the outlook of HiOnFi and the outlook of Unclestu !!

I saw your latest 'link' as continuing that same theme. I.e That the people 'hearing' improvements from various 'tweaks' are, in your opinion, really only experiencing the human variations which occur naturally - but are not aware that such natural variations actually take place. I feel sure that was your point in referring to the 'link'- i.e pointing to a study which had given some measurements that human beings vary !!
That you, Enophile, KNOW that "we are not as 'consistent' as we sometimes claim to be" but that many other people do not know that !! So, you wanted to make those people aware !!
The implications of that is that you must believe that the changes in their sound which some people 'hear' after trying certain particular 'tweaks' are really only the normal variations of human beings - day in, day out. Some days a good day, some days an 'off' day. So, by implication, some 'tweaks' will work some days and not work other days !!

Now, Enophile. What about the people who ARE as completely aware of the fact that human beings vary constantly as you are but who can ALSO 'hear' actual changes in the sound from trying various 'tweaks' ? And know that it is NOT just because of human beings varying constantly, therefore creating variations in the sound

That is why I then introduced Unclestu's experiences. As an illustration of how he (and by definition others), ALSO having the understanding that human beings vary constantly, can still make (with various 'tweaks') changes in their sound completely at will, completely under their control. And can repeat those changes completely at will - again and again. In other words, however much the human being might vary, some changes in the sound CAN BE completely under a person's control !!! They can do certain 'tweaks' and have their sound better or worse completely under their control !! Irrespective of the fact that human beings are varying constantly.

THAT, to me, is the crux of the continuing controversies surrounding 'tweaks'.

Let me now take one of Unclestu's quotes.
>>> "Individual sensitivities differ, and so does perception." <<<

Of course that is true. If it is the human being who is 'doing the reacting' to changes in their environment, then yes, individual sensitivities WILL differ. Say, for example, Unclestu finds ten different things which had improved HIS sound for HIM. He explains what he has done to ten different people and they try those same things. Five of the people might find Nos 2, 3, 6 and 9 worked equally as well for them as they did for Unclestu. Five of the people might find that only No 9 worked for them.

THAT, in my opinion, is why there is such a controversy surrounding so many of the different and unusual devices and techniques and the many reports of these devices and techniques 'changing the sound'. Some people try them and find no improvements (even when expecting improvements), some people try them and find equal improvements as have been described (sometimes when expecting no improvements) and yet others find only some of them give improvements when they fully expected all of them to work for them !!!!

It is when one knows (is fully aware) that human beings vary constantly and YET one can make changes in the sound which can be repeated again and again - at will - that forces one to do a 'rethink' of what actually constitutes 'sound' and the perception of sound !!
I understand what Uncelstu has heard - the changes he has heard over these past years - the point where I challenge him is where he is constantly pushing, pulling, bending, squeezing, stretching conventional electronic and acoustic theories, attempting to fit his experiences (ALL the various 'tweaks') into them (somehow) altering RF interference, electro-magnetic interference, static, resonances, and therefore affecting the audio signal !!!!!

Some of the tweaks he has done MAY have had an effect on the audio signal but, quite equally, may not - but yet had changed the 'sound' !! Then what ? Surely one then has an observation (a change in the sound) with NO explanation ?

THAT is the point where a 'professional in audio' starts (or should start) investigating !!!!!!

Regarding your reference to measurements.
People who have to wear hearing aids and find the sound of them 'harsh, aggressive and shouty' do not need measurements to know if the 'sound' from their hearing aids has changed to being 'clearer, more natural, a lot better' !!

In exactly the same way that if people who suffer from Tinnitus hear other sufferers describe how their Tinnitus has been 'eased' by (say) doing yoga, they don't need measurement proof before trying the technique for themselves !!! If they find that doing yoga also 'eases' THEIR Tinnitus, then any measurements would be superfluous - they would already know whether the yoga technique worked for them or not !!

Regards,
May Belt.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.