Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

Re: What can we trust?

Thank you Russ for your courteous response. Obviously we have considered that it could be our senses being 'fooled'. I have always said that that is one of the FIRST things which an intelligent person would consider !!

And, yes, wouldn't it be nice if there could be some sort of measurement to confirm our concept that it is the human being who is doing the reacting (to what is going on in their environment) and then that reaction is what is 'having an effect on the sound' !! Some people do not realise (or could it be do not want to realise) that 'sound' is really the final information received by the working memory, which it then tries to identify and create a 'sound picture' to present to the brain. And, if there are no 'tests' i.e as you list "subtle changes in things like heart rate, adrenaline levels, or something along that line" then what does one do - keep silent ? I have always understood science and scientists to be about 'teasing out what Nature does and how Nature does it' and, to that end, if nothing else, at least sharing information.

The best parallel I can think of is Tinnitus. If someone in the same room as you describes hearing constant noises or buzzing in their ears (sometimes horrendously so) and you look around and can hear nothing, all is quiet, what do you do ? Believe the person or dismiss what they are saying as their 'imagination' ? To turn your question back on you "Would YOU call what they are describing as 'proper evidence'? "
If that person goes to see a Doctor and describes hearing constant noises or buzzing in their ears, what does the Doctor do ? Believe that person or dismiss what they are saying as 'imagination' ? When the doctor has done all the tests - taken the heart beat, taken the temperature, taken the blood pressure reading, looked at the tongue, looked at the white of the eyes, taken blood samples and urine samples and everything looks perfectly normal, what is the Doctor to do ? Thankfully, even before the condition was more understood, some of the early medical practitioners recorded people's descriptions and so, again, thankfully, knowledge was accumulated over the centuries so the condition can now be better identified (even if no adequate solution has yet been found). I can't help feeling however that during the Dark Ages, some of the people suffering from Tinnitus might have been burnt at the stake, accused of being inhabited by evil spirits !!

Yes, we supply a free of charge sample of Rainbow Foil to enable people to try it for themselves. Over the years we have also described various Tweaks for people to do their own experiments. I would suggest you read Greg Weaver's three articles listed below for further background.

* Greg Weaver's April 1999 Rainbow Foil review in SoundStage
* Greg Weaver's July 1999 Cream Electret review in SoundStage
* Greg Weaver's December 1999 article on Freezing in SoundStage.
Regards,
May Belt.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: What can we trust? - May Belt 09:06:31 02/07/07 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.