Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

Re: No, ban ignorant who harp on endlessly from their hermitage of darkness

>>>> I learned so much from just playing with foams, rollers, weights, spikes, cones, ply, MDF, perspex, aluminium. sand, spage-gel, innertubes, and a hundred other handy household items, few of which cost much, even if overall I spent a bit. But I emerged with enough knowledge to be able to bet reasonably safely on which commercial products would work best in my system and for my ears. <<<<

Well said dave c. It is obvious at which part you have reached in the 'level of awareness' league.

Let me ask you a few simple questions. Regarding the 'hundreds of items you tried', did any of them makes changes to the sound which you could not explain from within conventional electronic or acoustic theories ? That is - the changes you heard could not be explained by 'what you had done' having an effect on the audio signal going through the audio equipment or by 'what you had done' affecting the acoustic air pressure waves in the listening environment ?
Supposing you manufactured audio equipment and the changes you heard gave improvements in the 'sound', would you tell anyone ? Would you tell people - many of them your customers - knowing that you would be 'howled down' by the rest of the audio industry or would you keep silent - out of fear of being ridiculed ? If you did tell people, and actually demonstrated the effects to such as audio journalists, what would these audio journalists do with the knowledge ? Would the journalists inform people of how to achieve similar improvements in their sound - knowing that they would get a 'mauling' from the rest of the audio industry or would they keep silent - out of fear of being ridiculed ?

Over 25 years ago I remember Ivor Teifenbrum facing such a dilemma. He decided to speak out. I remember him, at a UK Audio Fair, demonstrating to a room full of people, many of them audio journalists, how he could make the sound worse or better - depending on what he did to the hotel room telephone !! At one point, he had the people in the room cringing at the sound - because of something he did to the telephone. BUT, they were cringing at the sound of the Linn turntable, arm, cartridge, Naim amplifiers and Linn speakers !! In other words - the 'sound' (better or worse) of the Linn turntable, arm, cartridge, Naim amplifiers and Linn speakers was completely at the mercy of what Ivor was doing (or not doing) to the hotel room telephone !!! I am sure John Atkinson would be only too pleased to give you a fuller description of this event - which was one of Ivor's attempts to introduce the concept of 'single speaker demonstration rooms'.

I wonder, in this current climate of attack and ridicule, which journalists would now have the courage to report that a telephone, in the listening environment, can have an adverse effect on the sound or which editor of an audio magazine would now have the courage to print such a report ?

So, dave c, when you know what you personally have experienced trying so many things, then it must be as baffling to you as it is to me that so many people who regard themselves as 'audiophiles' have, obviously, not had similar experiences to the ones you have had. One has to ask the question "Why not ?"
Regards,
May Belt.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.