Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: Question: Do the "speaker guys" ever tell us that they're selling phase incoherencers?

No, I think Stu nailed it: Frequency response is easier to relate to and sell. Perhaps due to the efforts of the FTC. However if the phase thing can be boiled down to something meaningful and possible then it could become a real marketing factor. And a factor in improving design as well.

I suspect that the key to it is identifying a subset of the audible bandwidth that provides the most meaningful polarity cues and specifying acceptable temporal performance over that bandwidth (the voice range?). Trying to do it full-range is insane unless you keep your head clamped or wear headphones. Perhaps nut-case audiophiles could help promulgate a standard. You would make an excellent point man to sell the concept.

I think audiophiles underestimate the importance "real" people attach to our opinions. Not that they would ever wish to be one, or associate with one for that matter, but still they want to have gear that is "audiophile quality" or "audiophile approved".

Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.