Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: Usually inverting the polarity

Wow Stu, that may be THE answer.

I've read that hearing peaks around 3KHz but it never occurred to me that it might be tuned to match head thickness. I've also read that we can resolve interaural timing differences of 20uS, but didn't put the two together! I just bet you're right, that we are the most sensitive to phase and timing in that area also. Cool. It really makes sense, higher frequencies would be more difficult to analyze because the next wave coming along would cause interference, lower frequencies would provide worse timing resolution due to the slower slopes. And as you point out, instruments have plenty of harmonics in that area, probably because they were invented by humans!

In fact, your answer is such a good one that I'm just going to believe that it's correct and press onward. What a simple, elegant answer: The hearing range that matters the most for music is the voice range. I owe you a few, I like the brew and view at Whalers brewpub but it's a ways out of town for me...

Inverting the tweeter did cause a mild peak as I recall, but it's fairly benign. Think it sounded just a tad "brighter" than stock but it's been a long time. The notch is of course much more noticeable being deep and narrow. Of course the notch can approach infinity while the peak's limited to around 3dB. Since I listen off axis I don't notice the notch and overall find the sound is more satisfying.

Regards, Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.