Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: Hatfield vs. McCoy

In the matter of polarity, the first thing to be established is that the effect exists and is audible. Most will accept that the effect exists, few admit the audibility.

A corollary to that would be an understanding as to why some people hear it and why others do not. Part is due to the recording process, that much is quite evident. CJ states that recordings have a 50-50 chance of being inverted. Never in my readings has he ever stated which recordings fall into one group and which fall into another. I am not asking that he define which are in absolute polarity and which are inverted, simply which fall into one camp and which into another(polarity in relation to each other). That alone, would ease questions and make verification of his claims easier. It also would eliminate the possibility that one or more components may have polarity inverting amplifier sections, because we are determining 'relative' polarity.

He writes of Japanese recordings which have alternate tracks in alternating polarity. I would be very curious to hear such recordings, but he has steadfastly refused to provide details as to which specific recordings exhibit this. My frustration is that statements are being made, and being repeated without any validation. While there may be such a recording, I certainly would like to hear one in my system, and not simply accept the word of someone else. There are a lot of recordings out there, and no mortal can claim to have listened to them all, but it would help if some were listed so we can get a 'fix', if you may, on what the writer is referring to and basing his assumptions upon.

We can talk about recordings, but unless you state which recordings you use, you can always say you used something else and avoid any chance of being incorrect, which, again, in my opinion, is no great sin (being incorrect, that is).

I have tried to list certain 'audiophile' approved recordings and their polarities, some with mixed polarities and identified which instruments are inverted relative to each other. I believe this is essential for the listening community to experience the effect and to establish legitimacy. I have also pointed out speakers and actually named names for designs which have drivers in inverted polarity with respect to each other. In researching the whys I now understand the emphasis on amplitude measurements over time measurements. Such measurements and the timing issues are clearly exhibited in Stereophile's tests reports on the speakers reviewed.

Some people have used this information to move on, and do further thinking and testing. To dismiss such efforts and to avoid any specifics does not n any way move the audio world forward. If he can not help the situation, it would be better for the audio community for him to step aside.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.